Electronic commerce is generally considered to be the sales aspect of e-business. It also consists of the exchange of data to facilitate the financing and payment aspects of business transactions. This is an effective and efficient way of communicating within an organization and one of the most effective and useful ways of conducting business.
E-commerce can be divided into:
- E-tailing or "virtual storefronts" on websites with online catalogs, sometimes gathered into a "virtual mall"
- Buying or Selling on various websites and/or online marketplaces
- The gathering and use of demographic data through Web contacts and social media
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), the business-to-business exchange of data
- E-mail and fax and their use as media for reaching prospective and established customers (for example, with newsletters)
- Business-to-business buying and selling
- The security of business transactions